|ounty of Southwest England.
Gloucestershire County Council - Gloucester City Council - Cheltenham Borough Council - Stroud District Council - Tewkesbury Borough Council
|owns and cities
||Gloucester (administrative headquarters), Cheltenham, Cirencester, Stroud,
||2,640 sq. km / 1,019 sq. miles
is bounded by Herefordshire, Worcestershire, and Warwickshire on the north; by Oxfordshire
on the east; by Swindon, Wiltshire and South Gloucestershire on the south; and by
Monmouthshire on the west. The county falls into three distinct parts: the uplands of the
Cotswold Hills in the east; the Severn valley with its rich pastures, known as the Vale;
and to the west the historic Forest of Dean, which lies between the Severn and the River
Wye on the border with Monmouthshire. The River Severn runs in a southwesterly direction
through the western part of the county and is navigable as far as Sharpness, and between
Gloucester and Stourport. Cotswold Hills; River Severn and tributaries
||Industries: aerospace industry; light engineering; manufacturing (bricks,
carpets, furniture, glass, pins, pottery, tiles, watches); plastics; timber
Agriculture: cereals (in the Cotswolds); fruit (apples and pears); cider; dairy products
(`double Gloucester´ cheese was formerly made here); sheep farming
||Edward Jenner, John Keble, Gustav Holst
||Gloucester was the Roman colony of Glevum, situated to the
west of the Cotswold Hills, at the lowest crossing point of the Severn, established in the
late 1st century AD. The Three Choirs Music Festival is held there every three years. The
cathedral has the countries second largest stained glass window after York Minster. A
Benedictine abbey was built here in the second half of the 11th century on the site of an
earlier Saxon abbey. Edward II, killed at Berkely Castle, was buried there in 1327 and his
shrine became an important centre of pilgrimage. The wealth gained from the pilgrims
funded the reconstruction of the abbey and church. From 1337 much of the church was
remodelled in the Perpendicular style, although the Norman core was preserved. The
cathedral's south transept is an early example of the Perpendicular style, and the
cloisters (about 1370-1410) include the earliest example of fan vaulting in England. The
cathedral's east window is the largest medieval stained-glass window in England, dating
from the mid 14th century. The church received cathedral status from Henry VIII
The city became an
important inland port after the opening of the Gloucester and Sharpness Canal in 1827,
which linked the city to the Bristol Channel.
docks have been redeveloped and include the Robert Opie Museum of Advertising and
Packaging (opened in 1984) and the National Waterways Museum. The Mariners' Church,
located on the quayside, was built in 1848-9 for the seamen and boatmen who visited the
Port. The regional offices of the British Waterways Board are located in Gloucester, with
responsibility for navigable waterways.
Slimbridge, home to Peter Scott's Wildfowl Trust, the World's largest
and most varied collection of wildfowl. Paradise, named by Charles I who described it as
the most delightful spot he had ever seen.
Castle, where Edward II was murdered; Prinknash Abbey, where pottery is made;
Cotswold Farm Park, near Stow-on -the-Wold, which has rare and ancient breeds of farm
animals; pre- Norman churches at Cheltenham and Cleeve; Tewkesbury Abbey, with early 12th
- century nave. There are Roman and early British remains, mainly in the Cotswolds. The
county is mentioned in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle of 1016. Gloucestershire's geology is
varied, and includes gneissic rocks at the southern end of the Malvern Hills; greenstone
at Damory, Charfield, and Woodford; sandy shales and sandstone at Dymock; and iron
deposits in the Forest of Dean. Celestine, clay, limestone, and sandstone are all
quarried. Rocks dating from the Quaternary period are found in the county. Dover's Hill, a
spur of the Cotswolds not far from Chipping Campden, commanding an extensive view over the
Vale of Evesham, was bought by public subscription. Gloucestershire was important in Roman
times. Camps were established at Gloucester, and also at Cirencester, a station on the
Fosse Way known as Corinium, which became the second city of Roman Britain.
Bourton-on-the-Water - The ultimate picturesque village; stream,
bridges, cottages and shops, plus exotic birds, model village and a vintage car museum.
Cheltenham - Graceful spa town; shops from arcades to boutiques; good
restaurants and pubs; beautiful parks; a world famous music festival and a spectacular
Cirencester - Rich variety of period architecture, splendid Roman museum,
lively craft centre.
Chipping Camden - Beautiful Cotswold Village, excellent shopping,
including working Silversmiths.