|ounty in west England, created in 1998 from part of the former
county, Hereford and Worcester.
|owns and cities
||Hereford (administrative headquarters), Leominster, Ross-on-Wye, Ledbury
||2,288 sq. km/884 sq. miles
||Industries: agriculture, orchards and cider industry, agricultural
services and machinery, precision engineering, light engineering, plastics manufacture
magnificent ruins of Goodrich Castle.
Hereford, birthplace of Nell Gwynne, once the Saxon capital of West Mercia, its rich
pastures graze it's cattle which provide some of the finest beef in the World.
Symonds Yat, one of the most beautiful views of the river Wye.
The lovely half timbered towns and villages of Ledbury, Ross-on-Wye and Pembridge.
Herefordshire Beacon (340 m/1,115 ft) Iron Age fort; Hereford Cathedral (11th century)
houses Mappa Mundi, drawn in 1289, and the Chained Library, with over 1,400 chained books
and 200 manuscripts dating from the 8th to 12th centuries; Waterworks Museum (Hereford) in
restored Victorian pump house; Croft Castle (Leominster); St Mary's Church (Kempley) with
medieval wall paintings; The Prospect, a walled clifftop garden in Ross-on-Wye designed
by John Kyrle in the 17th century; Norman Church (Kilpeck) with notable carvings