|ounty of central England, which has contained the unitary authority
Nottingham City since April 1998.
Nottinghamshire County Council - Nottingham City Council - Mansfield District Council - Newark & Sherwood District
|owns and cities
||West Bridgford (administrative headquarters), Mansfield, Newark, Worksop
||2,160 sq. km / 834 sq. miles
||Nottinghamshire is bounded on the west by
Derbyshire, Rotherham, and Doncaster; on the north by North Lincolnshire; on the east by
Lincolnshire; and on the south by Leicestershire. The county forms part of the extensive
lowland to the east of the southern Pennines, the greater part being between 30 and 120 m
(98 and 427 ft) above sea-level. Only in the west, around Mansfield, is there hilly
country, which reaches a height of 180 m (591 ft). Rivers: Erewash, Idle, Soar, Trent
||Agriculture: cereals (barley, wheat), market gardening (potatoes), sugar
beet; cattle, sheep; there are many orchards
Industries: cigarettes, coal mining, engineering, footwear, furniture, gravel, gypsum,
ironstone, light engineering, limestone, oil, pharmaceuticals, sandstone, textiles
||D H Lawrence. Nottingham was the birthplace of William Booth, founder of
the Salvation Army, and of the writer Alan Sillitoe. The city is associated with the
legendary outlaw Robin Hood.
Newark-on-Trent, a pleasant market town
which has an attractive cobbled market place and Newark
Castle where King John died in 1216. On the River Trent, 25 km / 16 miles
west of Lincoln, Industries include engineering, the manufacture of ball and roller
bearings, plasterboard and gypsum, and the processing of sugar-beet. The British
Horological Institute is based here. The church of St Mary Magdalene has an Early English
tower with a Decorated spire, and a mainly Perpendicular interior.
Edwinstowe, a pretty village on the River Maun, said to be home to the Major Oak where
Robin Hood used to meet his Merry Men.
Industrial city and unitary authority on the River
Trent. It was the administrative headquarters of the county of Nottinghamshire to
April 1998. Industries include tourism, engineering, and the manufacture of bicycles,
textiles, knitwear, pharmaceuticals, tobacco, lace, hosiery, and electronics.
The English Civil War began here in 1642, and the city expanded rapidly in the late 18th
century as a centre of the lace industry.
Among the city's cultural attractions are the Nottingham Playhouse (1963), the Theatre
Royal (1866), the Royal Concert Hall (1982), and the Castle Museum. There are two
universities, the University of Nottingham (1881) and the Nottingham Trent University
(1992), formerly the Trent Polytechnic. The Goose Fair, dating from the Middle Ages, is
held here every October. The National Water Sports Centre is located to the east of the
city, near the village of Holme Pierrepont. A Tudor mansion, Holme Pierrepont Hall, is
also situated in the village. Nottingham has a racecourse, and test matches are played on
the Trent Bridge cricket ground. The Harvey Haddon sports stadium opened in 1964.
The heavily restored 13th-century gatehouse is all that remains of the original castle.
Built on Castle Rock 40 m / 130 ft above the city soon after the Norman Conquest, the
castle became a royal palace and fortress, but it was dismantled after the Civil War in
1651. A mansion was built on the site in 1674-78, but was burned during riots in 1831. It
was restored and opened as a museum in 1878 as England's first provincial museum and art
gallery. The collections include examples of Nottingham alabaster carving, a local
industry of the 14th and 15th centuries.
The `Trip to Jerusalem´ Inn, below the castle, is said to be the oldest inn in England.
The church of St Mary dates from the 15th century; St Peter's church is partly 12th and
partly 15th century; and the church of St Nicholas was built in 1678. The Roman Catholic
cathedral of St Barnabas was designed by Augustus Pugin. Other features include the old
Lace Market with 19th-century warehouses, the Lace Hall museum, the Costume Museum, and
the restored Green's Mill, where the mathematician George Green was once a miller.
Wollaton Park (300 ha /741 acres) includes Wollaton Hall, an Elizabethan mansion, now a
natural history museum. The former home of the writer D H Lawrence is located nearby at
Eastwood. Newstead Abbey, to the north of the city, was once the home of the poet George
Byron. The remains of Sherwood Forest, formerly a royal forest and the legendary home of
Robin Hood, also lie to the north of the city.
From the 6th century Nottingham was a Saxon settlement known as `Snotingham´. It was
occupied by the Danes in 868, and William the Conqueror occupied the town in 1086. Richard
III had his headquarters at Nottingham Castle before the Battle of Bosworth. Charles I
raised his standard here in 1642, and in 1643 the town and castle were taken by the
In 1589 the Reverend William Lee invented the first stocking-frame in Nottingham. Richard
Arkwright introduced his first spinning-frames here in the late 18th century and James
Hargreaves set up his spinning jenny in a small Nottingham cotton mill after being driven
from his family home in Blackburn in the late 1760s. From the late 18th century the city's
population grew rapidly with the expansion of the lace and hosiery industries. Luddite
riots, caused by the introduction of machinery, took place in 1811-12 and 1816-17. In 1863
Jesse Boot, the pharmacist, took over his father's shop selling medicinal herbs, and began
the manufacture of drugs in 1892.
The remaining areas of Sherwood Forest (home of
Robin Hood) are included in the Dukeries, an area of estates; originally 32 km / 20 miles
long and 12 km / 7 miles wide, the forest was formerly a royal hunting ground; Cresswell
Crags (remains of prehistoric humans); D H Lawrence commemorative walk from Eastwood
(where he lived) to Old Brinsley Colliery.
In Saxon times Nottinghamshire was part of the kingdom of Mercia, and after the Danish
invasions it formed part of the Danelaw. At the time of the dissolution of the monasteries
there were 16 religious houses in Nottinghamshire, but the only important remains are
those of Newstead Abbey. There are some fine churches, including Southwell Minster, of
Norman construction. During World War II Nottinghamshire produced the only oil out of
U-boat reach, and drilling was revived in the 1980s.