west central England.
Staffordshire County Council -
Stafford Borough Council - Stoke-on-Trent City Council - Newcastle-under-Lyme Borough
Council - Lichfield City
|owns and cities
||Stafford (administrative headquarters), Stoke-on-Trent,
Newcastle-under-Lyme, Lichfield, Tamworth, Leek, Uttoxeter
||2,623 sq. km / 1,012 sq. miles
is bounded on the Northeast by Derbyshire; on the Southeast by Warwickshire; on the south
by the West Midlands and Worcestershire; on the west by Shropshire; and on the Northwest
by Cheshire. It contains Stoke-on-Trent. The Staffordshire and Worcestershire canal
crosses the county. In Anglo-Saxon times, Staffordshire formed part of the kingdom of
Mercia; the Mercian kings had their residence at Tamworth; Stoke-on-Trent, heart of the
Potteries manufacturing district, used to be part of Staffordshire but is now a separate
There is evidence of pre-Roman and Roman occupation of the county,
and Wall (Letocetum) was a Roman station on Watling Street near Lichfield. largely flat,
with hilly regions in the north (part of the Peak district) and Southwest; River Trent and
its tributaries (the Churnet, Dove, Penk, Sow, and Tame); Cannock Chase (a large open area
in the middle of the county)
breweries (Burton-upon-Trent); china and earthenware in the Potteries and the upper Trent
basin (including Wedgwood); tractors and agricultural equipment (Uttoxeter); electrical
Agriculture: dairy farming
novelist Arnold Bennett was born near Hanley in 1867. Many of his novels are set in the
region, Peter de Wint, John Jervis, Samuel Johnson,
Robert Peel, Isaak Walton, Josiah Wedgwood;
Clarice Cliff, Reginald Mitchell inventor of
The antiquarian Elias Ashmole was born in Lichfield in 1617. The writer
Joseph Addison and the actor David Garrick also lived in Lichfield.
City and unitary authority on the River Trent, 23 km / 14 mi north of Stafford.
Stoke-on-Trent is the heart of the Potteries, a major ceramic centre, and the largest
clayware producer in the world. Other industries include the manufacture of steel,
chemicals, engineering machinery, paper, rubber, and tyres. Michelin has its headquarters
in the town.
Stoke was formed in 1910 from Burslem, Hanley, Longton, Stoke-upon-Trent, Fenton, and
Tunstall. The ceramics factories of Minton, Wedgwood, Spode, and Royal Doulton are all
The Gladstone Pottery Museum is a working pottery museum.
Hill at the southern end of the Pennines on the Cheshire-Staffordshire border, where there
are spectacular views of Staffordshire and the Cheshire Plains. Height 300 m / 984 ft. It
was the site of an open-air religious gathering on 31 May 1807 that is considered to be
the start of Primitive Methodism. It remained a popular location for revivalist meetings.
Features include a folly (1754) in the form of a ruin. Mow Cop is the property of the
Towers, probably Britain's best theme park, also hosts a 19th Century
mansion house and beautiful parkland. Located in Alton, 24 km / 15 miles east of
thePotteries. It opened
as a theme park in 1979. It was once the home of the earls of Shrewsbury. The gardens of
Alton Towers lie above the gorge of the River Churnet, and are decorated with statues,
grottoes, ornamental fountains, and temples. The house contains a picture gallery and
The gardens were landscaped in the early 19th century by Charles, 15th Earl of Shrewsbury.
The house - originally called Alveton Lodge - was enlarged in Gothic style in the 1830s by
John, the 16th Earl, who renamed it Alton Towers. In 1924 the estate was sold to a private
company who opened it to the public.
Burton upon Trent
The 'Capital' of British brewing towns due to the quality of 'Burton Water'. Northeast of
Birmingham, Burton upon Trent is a former cotton-spinning town. Brewing is the principal
industry, with five major breweries in operation; marmite savoury spread is produced from
the yeast by-products. Engineering, food-processing, and the manufacture of tyres and
rubber goods are also important. The Benedictine monks of Burton Abbey (founded in 1002)
began the town's tradition of brewing in the 11th century.
Gypsum deposits in the area make the local well water high in calcium sulphate, which is
particularly good for the production of beer. The earliest-known reference to Burton ale
was in 1295, it was noted in London in 1630, and commercial production began in the
mid-18th century. The history of brewing in Burton is illustrated at the Bass Museum.
Marmite was first produced in 1902.
The town expanded rapidly following the opening of the Midland Railway in 1839. A number
of Burton's public buildings, including the town hall (1894), were presented to the town
by Michael Bass (1799-1884), who became Lord Burton.
Cathedral city in the Trent Valley, 25 km / 16 miles northeast of Birmingham. It offers
financial and banking services, and has a mixed industrial base. Substantial military
barracks are located on the edge of the city. The cathedral (13th-14th century) is the
only English example of its kind with three spires. The writer Samuel Johnson was born
here in 1709.
The Early English and Decorated-style cathedral contains the Lichfield Gospels (a
manuscript dating from the 8th century) and The Sleeping Children (1817) of Francis
Chantrey. The birthplace of Samuel Johnson is
now a museum. On the edge of Stowe Pool is the church and well of St Chad, who settled
here in 669 and became the first bishop of Lichfield. There is a statue to Capt Edward
Smith of the Titanic in the city park.
17th-century superb colonnaded mansion house with 18th-century alterations set in
beautiful grounds., contains plasterwork by Vassali and Joseph Rose (1745-99). Shugborough
was acquired by the National Trust, with about 365 ha / 902 acres of land, through the
Treasury in 1966.
A group of neo-Grecian monuments in the park was built by James ` Athenian´ Stuart.
It has been the home of the Anson family, later to become Earls of Lichfield, from 1624
until the present day.
The largest surviving timber-framed house in Britain can be found in Stafford.
The Ancient High House was built in the late 16th century at the heart of this important
county town. During the Civil War, in 1642, King Charles I had a meeting here with his
army commander Prince Rupert. Today it is a museum, with period rooms showing how the
house would have looked in various stages of its history.
There are Castles at Chartley, Tamworth, and Tutbury; Keele University (1962) ;
Staffordshire bull terriers
Dating back to 1671, this classical red-brick house was designed by Lady Elizabeth
Wilbraham, wife of the owner. It houses a rich collection of works of art, including
paintings by Holbein, Lely and Gainsborough, and Gobelin tapestries from Paris. The
extensive grounds are used for many different activities from country shows to sporting
events such as the R.A.C. rally. There are formal gardens, an arboretum, and attractions
for children that include a miniature railway and a pets' corner.