Tayside

If you want to search in this county

Taysideormer region of Scotland (1975-96); replaced by Angus, Dundee City, and Perth and Kinross unitary authorities. The new unitary authorities were formerly the three districts of Tayside region (1975-96). Tayside region was formed from the counties of Perthshire, Kinross-shire, Angusshire, and the city of Dundee.

Back Next County

Local Links Angus Council - Dundee City Council - Perth & Kinross Council

Back to topAngus

owns and cities Arbroath, Brechin, Carnoustie, Forfar (administrative headquarters), Kirriemuir, and Montrose
rea 2,187 sq km/844 sq mi
opulation 111,800 (1995)
opography The Grampian Mountains in the north are dissected by the fertile valleys of the rivers Isla, Clova, Prosen, Water of Saughs, and North Esk; the wide Vale of Strathmore separates the Grampian Mountains from the low-lying Sidlaw Hills in the south
ommerce Industries: textiles, light engineering, fish processing
Agriculture: some fishing, cereal production
amous people  
ttractions Arbroath SmokiesIn 1320 the `Declaration of Arbroath´ was signed by the Scottish Parliament in Arbroath Abbey proclaiming Scotland's independence to the pope. The town has a number of oil-related firms, a fishing industry and produces smoked haddock (Arbroath smokies). There are the remains of a Benedictine abbey, built in 1178 by William the Lion - King of Scotland.

In Carnoustie, there is a championship golf course to the south of the town. The sand dunes, military camps, and artillery ranges of Barry Links extend to the southwest.

Pictish and Iron Age remains  There are 34 Sites of Special Scientific Interest, two National Nature Reserves, three Ramsars (wetland sites), three Special Protection Areas, one National Scenic Area, and three country parks.   There are several large Iron Age hill forts in the area, such as the two Caterthuns, and impressive souterrains (earth houses) at Ardestie and Carlungie. Other remains include brochs, sculptured stones, and hut circles. Many of these remains are situated on the fringes of the Vale of Strathmore

Glamis CastleForfar was the royal residence of Malcolm III, king of Scotland from 1058. Robert the Bruce destroyed Forfar's castle after capturing it from the English in the early 14th century. Its tollbooth was destroyed by British Lord Protector Oliver Cromwell's forces in the mid 17th century, and the town's ancient charters burned. Charles II granted a confirming charter in 1665 to reward the loyalty of Forfar's provost to his father, Charles I.

Back to topDundee City

owns and cities Monifieth, Broughty Ferry, Dundee (administrative headquarters)
rea 62 sq km/24 sq mi
opulation (1996) 155,000
opography Dundee rests on a gentle slope, rising from the Firth of Tay to a hill known as The Law (174 m/570 ft). The Tay estuary is 3 km/2 mi wide at this point and is easily navigable for large vessels.
ommerce Industries: engineering, textiles, electronics, printing, food processing
Agriculture: fishing
amous people  
ttractions The city, which developed around the jute industry in the 19th century, is Scotland's fourth largest city.There is a university (1967), developed from Queen's College (founded in 1881). Other notable buildings include the Albert Institute (1867) and Caird Hall. Discovery, the ship used by Robert Falcon Scott on his expedition to the Antarctic (1901-04) is moored on the Tay, to the west of the Tay road bridge.

Back to topPerth and Kinross

owns and cities Blairgowrie, Crieff, Kinross, Perth (administrative headquarters), Pitlochry, Aberfeldy
rea 5,388 sq km/2,080 sq mi
opulation (1995) 132,800
opography the geological fault which gives the distinctive character to lowland and highland Scotland passes through the area from southwest to northeast. The population is largely centred in the lowlands, along wide fertile valleys such as Strathearn, and the Carse of Gowrie. To the north and west are the Grampians intersected by narrow glens with lochs in their valley floors. Among the highest elevations in the Grampian Mountains are Ben Lawers (1,214 m/3,984 ft) and Schiehallion (1,083 m/3,554 ft); in the south are the lower Ochil and Sidlaw Hills
ommerce Industries: woollen manufacture, whisky distilling and blending
Agriculture: highly productive and varied agricultural area with soft fruit (Carse of Gowrie), arable crops (to the south), livestock, salmon fisheries (to the north) To the north, there is afforestation and 14 hydroelectric power installations. The attractions of the natural scenery of mountains and lochs has made tourism an important part of northern Perth and Kinross' economy. In the south, agriculture plays a more central role in the local economy.
amous people  
ttractions Blair CastleHighland Games at Pitlochry; Dunkeld Cathedral; Scone Palace; Glenshee Ski Development   Macbeth defeated in Dunsinane in 1054; victory of Scots (under Viscount Dundee) over English at Killiecrankie in 1689; Mary Queen of Scots' escape from Loch Leven castle in 1568 Dunkeld Cathedral was founded in 1107, and the church of St John, Perth, in 1126. The area is particularly rich in fine mansions, such as Kinross House (17th century), designed by William Bruce; and Scone Palace (1803-08); there are also many good examples of castles, such as Grandtully (1560), and Blair (1269). There are 111 Sites of Special Scientific Interest, six National Nature Reserves, three Ramsars (wetland sites), one Special Protection Area, and five National Scenic Areas  There are many remains of prehistoric stone circles and standing stones, and several Roman sites of great interest, notably Ardoch Roman Camp, near Braco.

Gleneagles, famous for its golf courses, hotel, and for the Gleneagles Agreement, formulated in 1977 at the Gleneagles Hotel by Commonwealth heads of government, that `every practical step (should be taken) to discourage contact or competition by their nationals´ with South Africa, in opposition to apartheid.

Loch Rannoch, lying 204 m/669 ft above sea level, and extending over an area 15 km/9 mi long and about 2 km/1 mi wide. The River Tummel, a tributary of the River Tay, flows through the loch from west to east

Pitlochry, situated on the River Tummel, Local industries include distilling and tweed manufacturing. Pitlochry power station and dam are located to the north of the town. The dam blocks the man-made Loch Faskally, generating hydroelectric power.There is a salmon ladder at the south end of the loch. Tourist facilities include fishing, golf courses, and the Pitlochry Festival Theatre